One way I try to make it easier for them to be involved with these chores is by marking where items belong with labels. Now that my son is reading, this is a simpler task. When everything has a place, items are easy to find and easy to put away. It eliminates the stress of wondering where "that thing" is as I'm heading out the door, 10 minutes late, crying children in tow. Labeling allows me to hold my oldest a little more accountable when it comes to properly stowing his toys and clothing; no more "I didn't know where to put it" excuses. It say's right on the drawer: "shirts". And it is useful for my husband too. Since he's not here as often as we are, he is sometimes unsure of where to find their clothes, toys or school books, and where to put them away.
Actually, I also kind of have an infatuation with letters and words...so I happily label whatever I can, I think words are pretty. [Is that weird? Idk...I've always liked words...I can't be the only one, right?] In fact, I've often joked that it would be great to label EVERYTHING in our house sometime and invite our parents or friends over. [You know, for fun.] Could you imagine walking into a home where the tissue, the couch, the sink, the toilet, the door - everything - was labeled? That would freak. me. out. I label more than normal people do I think, and maybe freak some people out. Anyways, I think my idea is funny...and I'm sure, one day, when I'm bored - you know maybe in 20 or 30 years, I will actually do it.
Ok, back on track...
I do not have a label machine. So, what I do is format a document with text [for each item I wish to label] aligned in columns. I set the font to a size that will allow me to cut my labels about 1/4 inch thick.
I print the page and cut each label out.
Next, I cut a piece of plain, clear tape just slightly longer than my label and center my label with the face of the label against the sticky side of the tape.
Then I press the tape onto my drawer [or wherever its destination may be] and that's it.
When I label items in our wooden drawers, I place the label inside, or along the top edge of the drawer, so it can't be seen. You could also purchase hardware made to hold labels, and fix that to the front of your drawers. However, most of my children's items are stored in clear plastic drawers...so the tape is less obvious and the look of it doesn't bother me at all. [Remember, letter fetish...]
The labels come off easily, so I can change them when I need to. Because they are easily removed, I am cautions about labeling with tape when I have little ones around who will put things in their mouths - it can quickly become a choking hazard if a toddler removes the tape.
Well, it's nothing fancy, just a quick and easy organizational tip that is helpful to us...
What do you do to stay organized?






No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving your comments! I really appreciate your feedback. I would like to send you a response, so please be sure I can view your email address, or check back for a follow up comment from me. Thanks!