and horizontally...
...which I love, because it encourages him to learn the solutions, regardless of the arrangement the question is presented in.
The experience of being timed also gives him opportunity to practice performing under pressure...which I don't think he necessarily needs much of at this point; but I know that in my own educational experience there was a HUGE amount of pressure in my public and private schools, and next to none in my home studies.
Thoughtfully calculated and purposeful pressure is, in my opinion, healthy and necessary for a child to develop the skills he or she will need to operate as an adult. So, a limited amount of age-appropriate intensity is useful - and I think timed flash cards are about all the stress he needs to navigate for now.
We began using addition flash cards the second week of June, so it's been nearly 2 months; although, I have not quizzed him every day. Here is how we use the flash cards:
I have him read each problem out loud, and then state the sum. The verbal repetition of the entire equation helps reinforce his memorization of it.
...and the number of problems he correctly answered.
He finished his first quiz in 14 minutes and 23 seconds, with 81 out of 84 correct.
His latest quiz session timed out at 8 minutes and 16 seconds, again with 81 out of 84 correct.
He has yet to finish with all 84 correct and he misses different problems each time. But I am still so pleased with his progress!
14:23, 81/84
14:34, 75/84
14:47, 78/84
15:21, 79/84
13:41, 79/84
13:55, 77/84
11:37, 79/84
09:59, 82/84
09:29, 80/84
10:20, 80/84
09:45, 79/84
08:26, 81/84
08:48, 83/84
08:16, 81/84
So, we're about a minute short of cutting his original time in HALF! Yay! I look forward to seeing how his progress continues.











No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving your comments! I really appreciate your feedback. I would like to send you a response, so please be sure I can view your email address, or check back for a follow up comment from me. Thanks!