Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Memory Verses & A Project

This week, my son is memorizing:

 "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."  Romans 10:9

My daughter's verse for the week is Genesis 1:1.

 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

I seem to have her learning verses a week behind her brother.  This was unintentional initially.  I just didn't think she would memorize the passages, so I didn't ask her to.  But then I changed my mind and decided to have her start memorizing too.  So, last week her verse was the same as her brother's the week before.  And this week her verse has a similar message to the verse he learned last week [Acts 17:24]...
 
Although, I didn't plan it this way, I actually kind of like it for two reasons.  The first is that she hears her brother repeating his verse, and begins to learn from hearing him - then the words are reiterated as she studies her own verse.  The second reason is that it kind of works similarly for my son.  He learns his verse for a week and then the message is refreshed in his mind as he listens to his sister recite her Scripture.  I think I kind of like this system. 

My 5-year-old and I have been studying creation the last couple of days, so my daughter's verse seems perfect for our family this week. My son had been reading the creation story and has made a "book" documenting what God did on each of the first 7 days.  On one side of each page he wrote what God made or did and the number representing that day. 








Then on the opposite side, he drew pictures to show God's creation on each day.

[light]
[clouds and water]
[a flower]
[a star, the sun and the moon]
[a turkey and a shark]
[a cow]
[God resting]

He decided what to draw to depict each days' events, and I truly enjoyed hearing about and viewing each picture once he was finished. 

What I didn't realize is that he never included the creation of man on his cards.  Ooops.  [I noticed it once I was taking pictures.]  We will fix it tomorrow and maybe post the correction then...in the meantime, aren't his drawings just precious?!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! I really appreciate your feedback. I would like to send you a response, so please be sure I can view your email address, or check back for a follow up comment from me. Thanks!